Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A.J. Jacobs!

I met one of my favorite authors this evening at a book-reading of his. A.J. Jacobs has written The Know-It-All and The Year of Living Biblically. I enjoyed both immensely. He recently launched The Guinea Pig Diaries.

Having missed out on an opportunity to attend a book-reading by another favorite author, Stephen King, I decided to never miss such opportunities again (now where exactly is Malcolm Gladwell speaking next?).

After his talk and Q&A session, I picked his new book up and waited my turn for him to sign it.

I cracked wise with him about who I thought should be playing him in the movie version of the "Biblical" book. Marlon Wayans will be doing it, but I suggested Noah Taylor. To understand why this is funny, you'll have to read the book.

He enjoyed the suggestion, and I asked him to please sign my book with best wishes for my writing career, as I'm 80% done with a book I'm writing. He asked if I wouldn't mind telling him what the book was about. I told him. He seemed to like the idea. I mentioned that I've sent out 200 queries so far, with 54 rejections. He said, "Hey, that's 146 that might still get back to you with a yes!" I said, "From your mouth to G-d's ears, because I'd prefer to be on your side of the podium." He said, "Ya know, if you get it published, I would love to attend your book-reading."

I'm going to keep him to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home