Thursday, April 15, 2010

Finished Another Book!

The Road by Cormac McCarthy - This book is crushing in its bleakness. There's a gimmick in the narrative that works really well. There are no quotes around what the characters say, nor are there hyphens in compound words, as if to say the survivors are too exhausted to bother with such details. The writing is propulsive and never meanders. One powerful resonance with me was that the characters refused to partake in cannibalism. My grandfather, on "the road" for most of the Holocaust, had opportunities to do so as well, but refused, and put his existence at riske by not succumbing. The book is a masterpiece.

3 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

>My grandfather, on "the road" for most of the Holocaust, had opportunities to do so as well, but refused, and put his existence at riske by not succumbing

Hm....
Forget about the book. Are you advocating that as a position to put your life at risk and not resort to cannibalism (when absolutely necessary)?

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Me said...

The truth is, I have no idea what I would do if I was put in that position. All I know is that my grandfather refused - and was beaten by his Soviet handlers for doing so. He subsisted on what he found in he woods: mostly mushrooms and leftover food inside animal feces. It's possible I exist because of his sacrifice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home