Tuesday, February 06, 2007

2 Races Down, 7 to Go

Sunday I participated in the NYRR Gridiron Classic/Longest Football Throw Competition. It was cold, real cold. How cold was it? So cold that Hoth looked like Miami Beach. I wore 4 layers on my torso and 3 on my legs. My chin froze, so I took the sweatshirt I got from participating in the race and wore it like a scarf. 'Twas -3 degrees at race time. I'm now man enough to join the Polar Bear Club.

My throw was an anemic 22 yards. Hey, 66 feet ain't bad. It's better than what Rex Grossman is capable of anyway. I've got tons of excuses if you want to hear 'em. The winner threw it 52 yards. 52 yards! It's the same prototype that wins every year, by the way. A 6"5', white, walking cannon 245 lb. ex Sycracuse jock who isn't in the pros because he blew his knee out in college. You have to see a 52 yard football throw to believe it. Last year the winning toss was 63 yards. That is beyond insane. Like a rocket-launch, billowing smoke, oohs and aahs and all.

My run went quite well, despite my michelin-man layers. I ran each mile faster than the last, which is always my goal in short-distance races. Mile 1: 9:30, mile 2: 9:07, mile 3: 8:53, mile 4: 8:36. Nice.

Click here to see my full results.

My next race will the be the Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K. One of my faves, the scenery is awesome!

2 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Danny said...

I was out these freezing my butt off while waiting for the wave starts. But I didn't make it out early enough to toss the ol' pigskin. Sounds like fun. (In Miami.)

I'm planning on doing Coogan's as well. Have you looked into a minyan for megilla?

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Me said...

Doh! I completely didn't realize Purim was the same day! I guess the Colon Cancer Challenge is my next race then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home