Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I've Never Seen that Before!

This morning I saw something I've never seen before in my life. (I think as I get older, I'll be amazed that I could keep saying that) The emotion was the same as the first and only time I ever saw a praying mantis in the wild. (I've also seen a woodpecker only once in my life)

I saw a bird attempting to attract a mate. It was just fascinating. I mean, it's one thing to see it documented on Planet Earth, but it's quite another to see it firsthand.

I wish I knew what kind of bird it was. I Googled like crazy, but couldn't come up with it. The best description I could give was that it was a large sparrow, with black and white stripes on its wings, so it was probably one of these birds.

I saw it hopping along down the street, stopping every few seconds to spread its wings out in a jerky fashion, hop on its feet, semi-spin, stop, skitter forward a few feet, and repeat over and over and over.

There was absolutely no doubt about its intent. I hope he impressed his paramour enough to build a bayis ne'eman. :-)

2 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Natty said...

I saw a Praying Mantis on the window at my job...oh my God was it cool...at those times in my life I wish I had a camera phone,,,I'm so not updated....

Love your Blog!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Me said...

Thank you for your post! I didn't know I had fan(s)! Guess that'll motivate me to post more often!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home