Tuesday, April 29, 2008

George W. Bush, Will You Please Leave Now!

A few months ago, I was inspired by the Rocks vs. Sox on Fox Seussical synergy and this was the result:

http://the-martin-chronicles.blogspot.com/2007/10/im-published-in-denver-post.html

Immediately, I began to ponder how I could further use the Dr. Seuss canon of work and an idea struck me.

What if I take "Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now" and turn it into "George W. Bush, Will You Please Leave Now!"? I'd change the rhymes to fit and include some pics and perhaps have myself a coffee table book-worthy piece of work.

I completed the song and drafted Word, PDF and PowerPoint versions. I then huddled with a lawyer who informed me that from a Dr. Seuss and photographer rights perspective, I couldn't possibly get this published legally without major licensing efforts.

I figured I'd submit it to satire or political websites and magazines for free, since non-payment would ensure I wouldn't get sued. I submitted it to several places, including Mad and Cracked magazines, but found no takers. (I was thrilled just to have something to submit to Mad Magazine!)

I decided that I'd just send it out to my list and see how viral it would become. I did that and immediately got pasted to the wall for my politics. People, I was just exercising my Seussian funny-bone! I don't necessarily think Bush is the worst president ever (okay, I give, he's the 42nd worst) and that Obama is the savior of mankind (obviously, that would be Hillary Clinton).

If you'd like to have a look at the ditty, please feel free to e-mail me and remember to vote come election day! (That's about as soapboxy as I'm going to get on this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home