Sunday, April 05, 2020

A Brief History of the Haggadah

After publishing three haggadot in two years (The Emoji Haggadah, The Festivus Haggadah, and The Coronavirus Haggadah), I got the call from The Jewish Book Council to write the actual history of the Haggadah.

I painstakingly researched the topic for two months, and I’m very proud of the results. The JBC also supported it with beautiful related art, and well-curated pullouts:

https://www.jewishbookcouncil.org/pb-daily/a-brief-history-of-the-haggadah

I would be honored if you would print it out and enjoy it at your seder or anytime over Pesach.

I’d like to think that I’ve created enough varied, enjoyable Pesach material for the whole family, and that some of it might take the edge off this very stressful period in our human history.

My heart is with anyone faced with celebrating chag alone.

My “vinch” and prayer is that we a) find meaning and inspiration in this year’s Passover despite the difficulties and limitations, and b) enjoy our Passovers next year with whomever we had hoped to join at seders this year.

Have a wonderful Yom Tov.

-Martin (Mordechi) Bodek

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martin,

Your column reflects the research you undertook to be able to write it. I found it unique in presenting the chronological evolution of the Haggadah and its contents. I believe you have in your column the basis of a book that would have an audience in those seeking to have a reference that chronicles the history you have described with annotations and further illustration. I will be studying your piece in some detail during this Peach

Many thanks.

Hag sameach

Oscar Rosenbloom. Palo Alto, Ca. oscar_rosenbloom@hotmail.com

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Me said...

Hello Oscar, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Indeed, as I was putting the article together, and realizing the length that I reached (nine printed pages), the possibility of expanding this into book form certainly did declare itself. "A Brief History of Every Haggadah Ever Written" would be the working title, and I would attempt to do what the title suggests. Before I proceed, I'm going to have a look at Vanessa Ochs' new book, to see if the ground I'm intending to tread on has been covered, or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home